Thursday, October 16, 2008

Has The Era of European Luxury Sedans in the US Ended?

There will always be a market for luxury European vehicles in the US. However, the recent downturn in the economy and the prices of these vehicles, fueled by unfavorable exchange rates, have got me thinking.
In fact, what I predict is that demand for the lower end of these vehicles as well as their SUV's will begin tapering off as younger buyers begin to realize that some Asian brands, while not as exciting to drive, are in fact just as good, and have fewer negative compromises (more comfort less handling rather than great handling and rock hard suspensions for example). And let us not forget the domestic brands, that, while not having the cachet, have produced some very fine automobiles, of late.
Yes, Dad, owning a BMW is great but as I drive to work, I don't want to count expansion joints and potholes with my rear end. And I don't need a car that will rocket me from zero to eighty in 8 seconds, if my average commute speed is 25 MPH. And I don't need another ticket, as I test out the top end on the Interstate. All this comes under the title "nice to have" when money is short.

No comments: