Thursday, March 12, 2009

First, if you have been following this blog, please forgive my lack of writing. I had 2 eye surgeries in the last 12 days, and I have missed the chance to blog as a result. But, like the proverbial bad penny, I am back.
Before surgery, I made my annual pilgrimage to the Cincinnati Auto Expo '09. The mood was subdued, and some manufacturers, such as Mitsubishi, did not show. This bodes ill for the future of the event. Still, there were some interesting vehicles on the floor, and frankly, the opportunity to get up close and personal with so many cars is a gear heads' paradise.
One stand, GM's (and yes, I have been accused of GM bashing, but hey, it is an easy target for my feeble mind), attracted my attention. There was the new Pontiac Solstice coupe. Attractive outside with the sadly expected cheapo interior. This got me thinking about a few of the product missteps that I have observed or read about involving GM products. Let me give three examples:
(1) The Solstice Coupe. BMW just pulled a similar coupe from the market, the Z-4. It did not sell. Why does GM think a Pontiac will do any better? Because it is cheaper? The logic here is that garlic-flavored gum won't sell at 2 dollars a pack, so we will sell it at 1 dollar a pack. It's the garlic flavor, stupid!
(2) The Cadillac XLR is a $100,000 dollar sports car. When Car & Driver tested it after it was launched, they observed that after a rain storm, if you opened the trunk, any water on the trunk lid instantly emptied all over your Louis Vitton luggage. Who tests the designs on these cars? Somehow, I don't think that BMW, Mercedes or Jaguar would have put a car into production with that kind of flaw.
(3) The Tahoe Hybrid uses only electric power in reverse. What if you are towing and need to back up a hill? You can't. 'Nuff said.
Tom Gill, a local Chevy dealer has recently been on television here touting the "buy American" sales line. There ARE good, even great American cars out there. The trouble is, GM does not make enough of them. The product snafus mentioned above point to a far deeper problem within GM, and this writer is not convinced that current management is capable of the necessary change. Ron White, the comedian, said it best: "You can't fix stupid".

No comments: